Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bye, Bye Bassinet...



Sadly for me, the boy has outgrown his bassinet. No longer do we have the ability to use its wonderful rocking capability to calm our ornery, hungry baby at two in the morning. We've replaced it with our play yard that can convert to a bassinet with larger sleeping space. It does not rock, per se, but I have figured out that you can mimic a slight rock by somewhat swinging the suspended bassinet. Hey, it's subtly effective. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but whatever works, right?

So, last night was our first night test-driving this new sleeping arrangement. Mike re-assembled it next to our bed (it was our downstairs changing station); he was of the opinion that we should just transition him to the crib and skip this play yard nonsense but I felt that we had to first master putting him to sleep without the assistance of rocking (BIG hurdle, trust me on this). I'm also not ashamed to admit that I am not quite ready for him to leave my side - I do still check often if he is breathing. It would be inconvenient for me to have to walk to the next room to do this, afterall...

Anyhow, last night was considered a success! (Don't get your hopes up, though, as every night is different.) I laid the boy down, semi-conscious, but he awoke and sort of looked around, with an "where the hell am I?" expression on his face. He was slightly cranky for a bit but eventually tuckered out and fell asleep on his own. Mike was pretty impressed. He woke up at midnight and I promptly threw him in the bed with me. He woke up again at 3 and I lay him back in his play yard with no resistance. By 6AM, he was back in our bed. Our night life has resorted to musical beds! Speaking of which, the boy is waking up from his nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment